Imagine all of the beautiful flavors that you get from fresh pesto, made better by combining them with lemon chicken and a touch of mayonnaise… that is our pesto chicken salad!
This dish is a staple in the Jones household… it is lighter than most traditional chicken salad recipes, and the combination of fresh herbs, with the added citrus, creates something that is just over the top deliciousness.
Best served between two toasted slices of sourdough, over a bed of mixed greens, or by the forkful while you stand near the fridge (the most common practice in our home).
- 2 cups chopped lemon chicken (literally just take a couple chicken breasts, toss in lemon/salt/pepper and cook in a skillet)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (we buy the pre-toasted, but if you only have raw, you can put them on a baking sheet at 350 for 10 min.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, basil, lemon juice, rosemary, oregano and salt
- Add the chopped chicken and toss until everything is combined
- Add the toasted pine nuts and toss until evenly distributed
Book to go with this bite: Good Neighbors by Sarah Langan