Yesterday, we began decorating for the Christmas. We have these two, very large, cookie jars in our kitchen that hold different items based on the season (I.E. in the summer they’re filled with lemons, in the fall we do leaves… you get the picture). ANYWAY, for December we decided to fill one with candy canes, and stuff the other with mini marshmallows. It truly is adorable and reminds me of a gingerbread house!
So this morning I woke up, obviously wanting to bake something, and the mini marshmallow jar caught my eye. Immediately I was reminded of chilly winter days when we were young, and my Mom would make us hot cocoa with mini mallows.
I have a SUPERB hot cocoa recipe that I will be sharing later this month on the blog, but this time I thought that we should try something new and turn the iconic bevy into a delicious cookie.
To make the cookie, I started with my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe and then made some tweaks. Instead of eggs, I swapped in sweetened condensed milk. I also changed the brown sugar/granulated sugar ratio up a bit, and added cocoa powder.
THE RESULT WAS INSANE. Never did I ever expect such a delicious cookie texture. Probs something to do with the condensed milk? Idk. But these are out of control, chewy and moist, and oh so delish. ALSOOOO I hate when recipes waste ingredients, so I used the remainder of the condensed milk to make an easy hot cocoa frosting and topped each with mini marshmallows. Enjoy!
For the cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup of cocoa powder
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk (save what is left in the can for the frosting!)
For the Icing
- The remainder of the sweetened condensed milk
- About 1/3 cups of chocolate chips
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder; whisk to combine
- In a standing mixer, cream the butter and sugars. Once combined, add the sweetened condensed milk. Beat for about five minutes until all ingredients have come together and the mixture is smooth
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the standing mixer; Mix until a dough begins to form
- Use a wet spoon to scoop out 1 inch balls of dough. Roll the dough in your hand to make a perfect ball and then use your palm to flatten the dough slightly and create a disk (NOTE: this dough is on the dryer side, and won’t spread as much in the oven. That is why I like to flatten the cookie with my palm before baking, to get that perfect cookie shape)
- Bake your cookies for 10 minutes; the tops should begin to crack
- To make the icing, combine the remainder of the sweetened condensed milk into a saucepan over medium heat. Add the chocolate chips and a pinch of salt, and whisk until the chocolate has completely melted into the milk
- Once the cookies have cooled, top each with a spoonful of frosting. Add 3 mini marshmallows for decoration, or crushed peppermint candy!