In the fabulous book, Craving London by Jessica Stone, there is a recipe for the most magnificent brownies. The “Almost Borough Market Brownies” were beyond simple to execute (AKA, we had all ingredients on hand) and the results were beyond… dense, rich, and oh-so-chocolatey.
We highly recommend purchasing Craving London, as it is chalk full of delicious recipes. This one is pulled straight from page 67.
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees; butter an 8×8 baking dish and dust with flour
- Fill a large saucepan with about an inch of water and set to boil, on top of the pan put a heat proof bowl (this is called a Bain Marie)
- When the water begins to boil, reduce the heat to low, and add the butter, whisking until it is melted; Add the sugar, cocoa, and salt, stirring until combined
- Once ingredients are combined, remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla, eggs, and four until it disappears
- Spread evenly into the prepared baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean