To be honest, there were not that many happy memories associated with food in the book, Then She was Gone. So, we decided to focus on when Laurel meets Floyd, and the butterflies she felt when the two shared a piece of rich carrot cake. We played off this idea and came up with carrot cake donuts!
These donuts are moist and flavorful, and in true BBTP fashion, EASY.
For the cake:
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 3 large carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisons
For the icing:
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbs almond milk (plus more for thinner icing)
- Prepare the cake mix as directed on the box. Then add the grated carrots, raisons, and walnuts
- Spoon batter into greased donut pan, then bake for 10-12 minutes until golden
- For the icing, combine all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and blend with a hand mixer until smooth
- Frost each donut and enjoy!