I love the idea of serving toasts with various toppers, as it makes a beautiful presentation AND guests are able to sample a variety of flavor palettes without committing to one.
In Kevin Kwan’s masterpiece, Sex & Vanity, Kwan expertly takes us on an adventure from Capri, to Manhattan, to the Hamptons, and so on. Additionally Kwan made sure to sprinkle in mentions of deliciousssssss Chinese cuisine (as many of the main characters are Chinese) like peking duck, stinky tofu, and crispy flounder.
Since Sex & Vanity is literally sensory overload when it comes to food, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try out my little toast concept and create three toasts inspired by Capri, New York, and Asia.
Let me tell you… this recipe was an absolute HIT and it was BEYOND simple to throw together.
- 3 slices of sourdough bread (I love Bread Alone for this recipe, its the perfect size)
- Softened butter
For the Asian Avo Toast
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tsp spicy sesame oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 wedge lime
- 1 scallion
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 cucumber
For the Big Apple Cheddar Toast
- 1 tbs apple butter
- 1 red apple
- 1 block extra sharp cheddar cheese
For the Toast da Capri
- 1 tomato
- 5 small balls of marinated mozzarella
- 6 basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter the side of each slice of bread and lay them on a cookie sheet; place in the oven until toasted (about 10 min)
- For the Asian avocado toast: mash the avocado, and mix in the sesame oil, soy sauce, and lime; set aside
- For the Toast da Capri: chop the tomato, mozzarella, and basil leaves; mix together and set aside
- Remove the slices of toast from the oven; take one of the toasts and spread on the apple butter. Place a few slices of thinly sliced red apple, and top with slices of cheddar cheese. Pop in the oven for another 5 min or until the cheddar melts
- To assemble the Asian Avocado Toast, top the toasted bread with the prepared avocado mash; garnish with sliced cucumber, sesame seeds, and chopped scallion
- To assemble the Toast da Capri, place the prepared tomato/mozzarella mixture on top of the toasted bread