My first year of college at the University of Arizona (Bear Down!) there was this girl who’s mom would always send her huge Ziploc bags of what she called “Dorm Room” cookies. I think that the name came from the fact that you don’t need to bake these delicious little treats… but you DO need a stove top, so that always left me a little confused.
These cookies are V simple though, and made with all of my favorite ingredients… oats, chocolate, and peanut butter!
We decided to share them in honor of the twisty-dark novel, The Girls Are All So Nice Here by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn, because half of the book takes place in a dorm room, that eventually is dubbed “Dorm Doom.” shhhh! No spoilers.
Here is how to make Dorm Room Cookies
- 1 stick of salted butter
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup peanut butter (I prefer Skippy, smooth)
- 3 cups quick oats
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, OR just put some parchment paper down on a flat surface
- In a medium saucepan combine the butter, sugar, cocoa powder, and milk; simmer over medium head until all ingredients have combined
- After the butter has melted and ingredients are all combined, allow the mixture to simmer until some bubbles begin to form, for about 1 min
- Remove the mixture from the heat and immediately stir in the vanilla, peanut butter, and oats; mix until everything has combined
- Use a cookie scoop or a spoon to place dollops of the mixture onto the parchment paper; Let rest at room temp for 30 min.