Friends! I can promise you that once you taste this crumb cake, you will never go back to another crumb cake recipe again… it is JUST THAT GOOD.
The idea came from a book we just finished, The Lions of Fifth Avenue, by Fiona Davis. In the book, there is a main character that loves to bake… cakes are a particular favorite.
It got us thinking about the various cakes out there, birthday, bundt, fruit, layer… and CRUMB. Don’t sleep on the crumb cake.
Our recipe is extra special because of the surprise in the crumb topping: toasted hazelnuts and chocolate. Yum.
Not sold yet? Okay, this cake is actually a breeeeeze to make. Simple, pantry staple ingredients and only a few steps to make this marvelous show stopping treat.
I encourage you to make this crumb cake the next time you host a brunch for friends, or want to have an extra special Sunday morning to yourself. It pairs beautifully with a rich cup of coffee 😉
Also if you’re like me and get really picky about your bakeware, I am pleased to share that I found this amazing set on Amazon… Every dish bakes evenly, and the nonstick material allows an easy release EVERY TIME!!
- 2 1/4 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups oil
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 4 oz. semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8×8 baking dish
- Place hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in oven for 10 minutes or until they are fragrant and golden brown; Set aside to cool
- In a large bowl, add the sifted flour, salt, and cinnamon; whisk
- Add the brown and granulated sugar, and the oil; Use a hand mixer to mix until a fluffy mixture forms
- Remove 3/4 cups of the flour mixture and place in a separate bowl to make your topping; add the nutmeg
- Chop the cooled hazelnuts and add them to the topping bowl
- Using a large knife, chop the bittersweet chocolate so it is in flakey chunks; Add to the topping bowl and use a spoon to toss all ingredients together until well combined; Set aside
- Add the egg, baking soda, baking powder, and milk to the large bowl with the remainder of your flour mixture; Use a hand mixer to gently mix until everything is just combined
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and sprinkle with the hazelnut-chocolate topping; Use the back of your spoon to gently pat the topping mixture into the cake
- Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes or until the edges are golden and a toothpick comes out clean