The Chicken Sisters
How could we read a book that is literally about fried chicken restaurants, and not make fried chicken? Yes, this all comes back to The Chicken Sisters by KJ Dell’Antonia … a heart-warming, fun book about two sisters that go on a reality TV show called Food Wars, to see who has the BEST fried chicken in the small town of Merinac, Kansas. The story will make you smile, and it will certainly make you hungry.
Our recipe for fried chicken was adapted from Reese Witherspoon, who shared it on her Book Club account. TBH I have never made fried chicken, and I am not hugeeeee on frying in general. Don’t get me wrong, I love the taste, and nothing beats a spicy chicken sandwich from Wendy’s, but at-home-frying can just be… tasking.
However making these sandwiches was a breeze. I think the key was the organization of the whole operation: give yourself space, and take the time to form and assembly line with your different dipping plates.
Personally, I like fried chicken with something else (i.e a biscuit, salad, waffles) so that is why we paired ours with soft potato buns, pickles and mayo: creating a beautiful sandwich.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Frank’s hot sauce
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 2 1/2 tbs corn starch
- 1 tbs smoked jalapeño powder
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1/2 tbs ground nutmeg
- Oil for frying
- In a shallow bowl or dish, combine 1 cup of flour with 1 tbs salt and 1 tbs garlic powder (this is dipping bowl 1)
- In another dish combine the eggs and hot sauce (dipping bowl 2)
- In a third dish combine 1 cup flour, corn starch, jalapeño powder, chili powder, and nutmeg (dipping bowl 3)
- Line up your bowls near the stove top to make the assembly line
- Fill a large dutch oven with the oil and heat to 325 degrees; Drop in the chicken and cook for about 10 minutes (this will change based on how thick your pieces are)
- When the chicken pieces are cooked, set aside to cool slightly before assembling your sandwiches!