Gingerbread People with Chocolate Cream
This recipe makes the most delicious, fragrant gingerbread. I love the simplicity of the ingredients, and the beautiful snap and crunch that the cookies have after they have baked.
An optional, but highly suggested, step to this recipe is the chocolate cream filling. It tastes similar to the center of an Oreo, but with a punch of cocoa.
For the cookies:
- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (we used it in solid form)
- 1 cup molasses
For the filling:
- 6 tbs softened butter
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup sifted cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda and spices
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the molasses until it is slightly bubbly; Add the coconut oil, and stir until incorporated
- Remove the molasses mixture from heat and allow to cool slightly; Slowly add to the flour mixture, stirring until a dough begins to form
- Allow the dough to chill for at least 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment; Roll dough onto a floured surface and cut out the gingerbread men. If you choose to fill the cookies with chocolate cream, I suggest rolling thinner cookies, as they will be stacked (NOTE: this is a very old fashioned gingerbread dough. Do not panic if it is tough to work with when it is first removed from the fridge. Work it in your hands a bit to soften and trust the process!)
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes. The kitchen will smell like heaven.
- To make the filling, cream the butter, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl; In a separate bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and cocoa. Slowly add the cocoa/sugar mixture to the butter and cream until well combined
- To assemble the cookies, flip one cookie so that the inside half is facing up. Pipe as much filling as you like into the center, and place the second cookie on top.