Mini Ham & Cheese Holiday Sandwiches
These mini sandwiches are inspired by the famous Hickory Honey Ham in John Grisham’s comedic novel, Skipping Christmas. They are absolutely addicting, and warming… making them perfect for chilly winter nights! Since the sandwiches are mini, we wanted to make the filling quite flavorful and rich, so in addition to ham, we incorporated crispy, salty pancetta. The flavors blend wonderfully with the honey mustard and buttery grilled bread.
The measurements below make 4 mini sandwiches. It should be noted that this recipe is VERY hard to mess up, and can, in total honesty, be eye-balled. Essentially, you are making a cheese spread! If the spread looks a little too dry, add a touch more greek yogurt or mayonnaise. If it seems to have gotten a little runny, just add an extra sprinkle of cheddar cheese. Any extra honey mustard can be added to a chic ramekin or shallow dish and be used for dipping.
- 4 slices sliced bread of choice (we used Italian, and it was delicious)
- 1 large slice of ham, or two smaller slices, chopped
- 1/4 cup pancetta (the small, cubed kind)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 tbs mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbs plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- Stack the two slices of bread, and use a sharp knife to cut out 4 mini sandwiches (will make 8 mini slices of bread), set aside
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the pancetta until brown and slightly crispy; once cooked, set aside to cool
- In a bowl, combine the ham, cooled pancetta, cheese, mayonnaise, and yogurt; mix until the yogurt and mayo have combined
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, salt, and onion powder; mix until all ingredients are integrated (should be a similar consistency to cheese spread)
- In a small, separate bowl, mix the mustard and honey (you can skip this step by using premade honey mustard)
- Assemble the sandwiches; Place a teaspoon of honey mustard on the first later of bread and top with the cheese filling. Press the second piece of bread on top.
- In a skillet, melt a tablespoon of butter; Place the sandwiches in the skillet over medium-low heat, and cook until each side is golden brown.