Glorious Brie and Walnut Crostini
In Oh The Glory of It All by Sean Wilsey, he explains that while he was growing up, one of his phrases was, “Oh the glory of it all!”
He writes that he would repeat this phrase when he was alone… when one of his little inventions worked, or while looking out the backseat window at Chinatown or Broadway. It’s just the cutest thing… put simply, it was his phrase for when things were glorious!
As Sean’s socialite parents, particularly his fabulous mother, loved to host parties, lunches, and what she would refer to as “conversations” we wanted to share a cocktail party-friendly bite. Something rich, delicious, and social.
What could be more perfect than a crostini? Not just any crostini, but a GLORIOUS crostini with creamy brie, toasted walnuts, and sweet dates.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup dates, finely chopped
- 1 demi-baguette, sliced
- Brie cheese
- 1 TBS honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; toast the walnuts for 7-10 minutes or until fragrant
- Once the walnuts have toasted, set them aside to cool but keep the oven on
- As the walnuts cool, begin to chop the dates (TIP: run your knife under water before you cut; this keeps the dates from getting too sticky)
- Once the walnuts have completely cooled, finely chop them and combine them with the dates in a mixing bowl; set aside
- Slice the demi-baguette into 1/2 slices and brush with butter or olive oil; toast in oven for about 10 minutes or until golden brown
- Once the bread has toasted, remove from the oven; add a slice of brie to each crostini and top with the walnut/date mixture
- Optional Step: In a small bowl, combine the honey and a shake of cinnamon; Use this to drizzle on top of the crostini